DocuBox is a cloud based file storing app where you can securely store and access your documents from anywhere around the world!
This project is developed by Team 404 for Hashnode x Linode hackathon. This team comprises of Ishant and Vaibhav.
To know more about how I build this project, read my article on https://ishantchauhan.hashnode.dev/docubox-securely-store-access-and-share-your-files-on-cloud
You can Install and test latest DocuBox app from below ?
How to use this app
To know how to use this app read this or watch this video
- Clone the repository on your machine.
- Clone the backend code and set it up by following its README.
- After setting up the backend, do the following:
Open Secrets.kt in util package and add your backend Base URL
//Add your base url here const val BASE_URL = "http://[your server url]/api/"
It uses a nodejs backend which is deployed on an ubuntu server running on Linode.
- Fully functionable.
- Clean and Simple Material UI.
- Best and Clean Code Quality following Modern Android Development, SOLID Principles and much more.
- User Authentication – Supports email based authentication
- Saving Files – You can upload your files to DocuBox’s cloud storage and access it anywhere.
- File Encryption – Files stored on DocuBox is secure and encrypted, so your data is securely stored.
- Sharing File Access – You can share view access of your files to other users.
- File Management – You can create multiple folders to organize your storage just as you want it.
- File Download – You can even download your files and save them locally for offline access.
- Enhanced File Search – Super fast file searching which can search files instantly.
Insights into the app ?
- DocuBox uses custom NodeJS Server running on Linode as its backend.
- DocuBox uses Retrofit to make all REST API calls to the NodeJS backend.
- DocuBox is made using Kotlin and following Modern Android Development practices.
- DocuBox uses Kotlin Coroutines and Flow to handle all asynchronous tasks.
- DocuBox uses all Jetpack libraries and follows MVVM architecture. It also has a G.O.A.T rating in Android’s M.A.D scorecard.
- DocuBox’s code follows all the best practices and software development principles like SOLID which make it a very good learning resource for beginners as well as for people looking to improve thier software design skills.
- DocuBox’s code is properly linted using Ktlint.
Built With ?
- Kotlin – First class and official programming language for Android development.
- Coroutines – For asynchronous and more..
- Flow – A cold asynchronous data stream that sequentially emits values and completes normally or with an exception.
- StateFlow – StateFlow is a state-holder observable flow that emits the current and new state updates to its collectors.
- SharedFlow – A SharedFlow is a highly-configurable generalization of StateFlow.
- Android Architecture Components – Collection of libraries that help you design robust, testable, and maintainable apps.
- ViewModel – Stores UI-related data that isn’t destroyed on UI changes.
- ViewBinding – Generates a binding class for each XML layout file present in that module and allows you to more easily write code that interacts with views.
- DataBinding – Binds data directly into XML layouts
- DataStore – Jetpack DataStore is a data storage solution that allows you to store key-value pairs or typed objects with protocol buffers.
- Dependency Injection –
- Hilt-Dagger – Standard library to incorporate Dagger dependency injection into an Android application.
- Hilt-ViewModel – DI for injecting
- GSON – A modern JSON library for Kotlin and Java.
- Timber – A simple logging library for android.
- Retrofit – A type-safe HTTP client for Android and Java.
- GSON Converter – A Converter which uses Moshi for serialization to and from JSON.
- Coil – An image loading library for Android backed by Kotlin Coroutines.
- Material Components for Android – Modular and customizable Material Design UI components for Android.
com.docubox # Root Package . ├── data # For data handling. | ├── local # Local Datasource and classes | ├── remote # Remote datasources and API Service │ ├── model # Model data classes and mapper classes, both remote and local entities │ └── repo # Single source of data. | ├── service # Foreground Service to upload File to server | ├── di # Dependency Injection │ └── module # DI Modules | ├── ui # UI/View layer | ├── adapters # Adapter, ViewHolder and DiffUtil | └── screens # All App Screens | └── utils # Utility Classes / Kotlin extensions
This app uses MVVM (Model View View-Model) architecture.
If you like my projects and want to support me to build more cool open source projects
The project uses backend which is deployed on Linode for the Hashnode X Linode Hackathon.
If you need any help, you can connect with me.
Visit:- Vaibhav Jaiswal