A dictionary application that consumes the Dictionary API.
This App uses Clean Architecture to ensure:
- Separation of concern
- Drive UI from Data Model
- Make functionality easily changeable or droppable
- Make Code easier to read
- Make use of good practices and Jetpack libraries(Architecture components)
- Sits between the UI and Data layer
- Used in this project to encapsulate business logic
- Enables use-cases to be reused in multiple view model
- Defines the repository interface that drives the main functionality
- Contains the implementation of business logic(Repository Implementation)
- Gets data from the remote data source
- Cache’s remote data to Local Room Database
- This layer is the layer that displays data to the user screen
- Contains view models that are lifecycle friendly and takes code away from our Activity/UI components
- Defines our architecture which is MVVM (Model View View-Model)
- Contains our states that handle logic like loading
- Used Hilt Dagger library for dependency injection
- Allows classes to define their dependencies without constructing them
- Also brings all the layers of the App together
- Helps UI layer to be driven from data layer
- The app has a search bar at the top to type in queries.
- It then fetches results from the Dictionary API, and caches them to Room database.
- The app also offers pronanciation for some words.
- Clone the repository, then open the project using Android Studio.
- Tinker with the code as you please.
- Kotlin – Kotlin is a programming language that can run on JVM. Google has announced Kotlin as one of its officially supported programming languages in Android Studio; and the Android community is migrating at a pace from Java to Kotlin.
- Jetpack components:
- Jetpack Compose – Jetpack Compose is Android’s modern toolkit for building native UI. It simplifies and accelerates UI development on Android. Quickly bring your app to life with less code, powerful tools, and intuitive Kotlin APIs.
- Android KTX – Android KTX is a set of Kotlin extensions that are included with Android Jetpack and other Android libraries. KTX extensions provide concise, idiomatic Kotlin to Jetpack, Android platform, and other APIs.
- Lifecycle – Lifecycle-aware components perform actions in response to a change in the lifecycle status of another component, such as activities and fragments. These components help you produce better-organized, and often lighter-weight code, that is easier to maintain.
- ViewModel -The ViewModel class is designed to store and manage UI-related data in a lifecycle conscious way.
- Room database – The Room persistence library provides an abstraction layer over SQLite to allow fluent database access while harnessing the full power of SQLite.
- Compose Navigation – The Navigation component provides support for Jetpack Compose applications.
- Kotlin Coroutines – A concurrency design pattern that you can use on Android to simplify code that executes asynchronously.
- Retrofit – Retrofit is a REST client for Java/ Kotlin and Android by Square inc under Apache 2.0 license. Its a simple network library that is used for network transactions. By using this library we can seamlessly capture JSON response from web service/web API.
- GSON – A Java serialization/deserialization library to convert Kotlin data classes into their JSON representations and vice versa.
- Dagger Hilt – A dependency injection library for Android that reduces the boilerplate of doing manual dependency injection in your project.
- Logging Interceptor – Logs HTTP requests and response data.
MIT License Copyright (c) 2023 Kevin Mathenge Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions: The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software. THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.