Android Sunflower (alpha)
A gardening app illustrating Android development best practices with Android Jetpack.
Android Sunflower is currently released as an alpha and is under heavy development. To view the latest changes, please visit the Releases page.
Android Jetpack is a set of components, tools and guidance to make great Android apps. They bring
together the existing Support Library and Architecture Components and arranges them into four
Android Sunflower demonstrates utilizing these components to create a simple gardening app.
This project uses the Gradle build system. To build this project, use the
gradlew build command or use "Import Project" in Android Studio.
There are two Gradle tasks for testing the project:
connectedAndroidTest- for running Espresso on a connected device
test- for running unit tests
- Foundation - Components for core system capabilities, Kotlin extensions and support for
multidex and automated testing.
- Architecture - A collection of libraries that help you design robust, testable, and
maintainable apps. Start with classes for managing your UI component lifecycle and handling data
- Data Binding - Declaratively bind observable data to UI elements.
- Lifecycles - Create a UI that automatically responds to lifecycle events.
- LiveData - Build data objects that notify views when the underlying database changes.
- Navigation - Handle everything needed for in-app navigation.
- Room - Access your app's SQLite database with in-app objects and compile-time checks.
- ViewModel - Store UI-related data that isn't destroyed on app rotations. Easily schedule
asynchronous tasks for optimal execution.
- WorkManager - Manage your Android background jobs.
- UI - Details on why and how to use UI Components in your apps - together or separate
- Third party
- Glide for image loading
Updates will include incorporating additional Jetpack components and updating existing components
as the component libraries evolve.
Interested in seeing a particular feature of the Android Framework or Jetpack implemented in this
app? Please open a new issue.